Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Broccoli rabe & pasta


Trying to get darker greens into your diet? This is a wonderful, light way to prepare broccoli rabe for pasta.

Just a few simple ingredients are needed:

Broccoli rabe
Garlic
Extra virgin olive oil
Salt & pepper 

Pasta (I tend to go with a linguine or spaghetti... A pasta that has length and weight, but that is a personal preference... You can really use whatever you have on hand)
I'm using a whole grain linguine.


Some people boil it first to take out the bitterness and to soften the stems. I do not, I clean it and then cut the stems in halves or quarters (depending on their thickness) and use everything except for the very tips of the stems.

 
Here is a stem that a cut the tip off and quartered.


All my broccoli rabe- washed, cut & ready.


I used 4 really large cloves of garlic- yum!


There seems to be a lot of evoo but that's only because its part of the "sauce" and will dress the pasta.

As the garlic begins to golden, add the broccoli rabe. Be careful of any oil splashing!!

 Cook it until the stems are soft.



Toss some of your pasta in & enjoy.
Broccoli rabe is bitter. You're either going to love it like me- or hate it like my husband!


Whole wheat pasta, broccoli rabe & chunks of garlic- yum!


No comments:

Post a Comment